Photobucket photo blank.pngPhotobucket photo blank.pngPhotobucket

Monday, July 23, 2012

My Teacher Story and Monday Made It # 8

I just read that Janaye  over at Tales of Frogs & Cupcakes is having a great linky party, "My Teacher Story."  So here is my story...


Teaching is actually a second career for me.  I have been a hairdresser for 26 years and worked in a shop up to a year ago.  Hairdressing is in my blood.  My mom, two aunts (her sisters), a cousin and even a great aunt all on my mom's side are hairdressers.  For 24 of the 26 years I worked at my aunt's shop with her and my cousin. I had a BLAST!  It was like going and having coffee with my girlfriends everyday.  I was persuaded to be a hairdresser by my mom when I graduated from high school because I had no idea what I wanted to do.  So I went to the same beauty school as my mom and after graduating and passing my state boards I spent two years perfecting my craft.  Then I went to work for my aunt for 24 years until she passed  away a year ago.  Here is my daughter's First Communion updo...  (Ugh my only picture is on my desktop which will not turn on due to a virus! I'll keep looking!)

Then one day my BFF who was also my roommate said why don't you go to school to be a teacher, you absolutely LOVE kids.  I was the only one at the beauty shop that would cut and style the little kids' hair.  I am in quite a few "1st Haircut" pictures - Yuck I hate getting my picture taken!  I said I can't go to college but my BFF brought all the paperwork home and helped me get the paperwork completed and signed up for my first classes.  After my first college class - "Intro to Psychology"  I was hooked.  I LOVED college!  I loved even more then college was teaching.  I at last felt like I found why I was put here on Earth - to teach!  Don't get me wrong I still love doing hair but I always felt it wasn't my true calling.  Teaching made my heart sing and still does 16 years later.  My BFF that was my roommate back then is still my BFF and my inspiration.  She went back to school too,  after receiving her bachelor's in political science and master's in juvenile corrections before I even went to college.  Guess what her new degree was?  Teaching!  She is now a SBH teacher at a near by high school and I am an elementary teacher.  If it was not for her believing in me I would have never took the chance to become a teacher.  I have shared that story with all my students in hopes that I can inspire them to follow their dreams no matter what others might say.  My road has been a little different then most but I would not have changed it for the world! 

I did one small Monday Made It project for Tara over at 4th grade Frolic.  I know I said I would share my Science in a Bag project but the week flew past! I promise I will post it soon.  But I did make really cute labels for my plastic science unit containers from PreKinders and they were free!  Take a look....
I would have been really happy if I could have patiently figured out how to type on the labels instead of hand writing them but I have absolutely no patience with myself.  I also thought I was pretty tech savvy but obviously not!  If anyone would like to add those directions in their comment I would forever be thankful. I am hoping that these last few Monday Made Its will motivated me to get some more school stuff done.  I have fallen deeply into summer break and just can't get out!


Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. What an amazing story!! Thank you for sharing it.

    Megan

    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I wanted you to know I am a newbie follower of yours and I just adore your blog! I have chosen to Nominate you for an award...come pick it up at my blog.

    Caralee
    Confessions of a Teachanista

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower! I love finding other upper grade teachers out there who are full of great ideas. I hope you follow me back and I inspire you as much as you've inspired me!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Layla

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting story!!! VERY inspiring!! I am glad that you are in a profession that you TRULY love. I am SO glad you linked up!

    Janaye
    Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your teacher story...mine is also "non-traditional"! I'm your newest follower!

    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your story!! That is so great! I am your newest follower and am a newbie blogger teaching 4th grade!
    Thank you for sharing:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your story! It's very sweet. I'm a 5th grade teacher and new follower! I'd love for you to check out my blog!

    Courtney
    flockingtofifth.blogspot.com

    PS - Class pet ... ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments. I LOVE comments.