Photobucket photo blank.pngPhotobucket photo blank.pngPhotobucket

Friday, December 28, 2012

2013 New Year's Resolutions Linky Party

I usually do not make resolutions because I NEVER keep them and then I am just disappointed in myself.  But Amanda over at Teaching Madness is have a sweet linky party that I just have to join.  I have read a lot of other teachers' blogs that have linked up and they say if you make resolutions publicly you have a better chance at keeping them so here I go....  Take a look around Amanda's linky, it may inspire you to make a few resolutions, it did for me.

Teaching Maddeness



Work Resolution - I am not alone on this one.... to leave school at a decent time (3:00 / 3:30).  We end school at 2:30 and can leave at 3:00  Especially since my youngest has to stay at aftercare at her school until I am done which then effects my next resolution.

Family Resolution - This resolution is a BIG one that desperately needs attention which is our family debt.  I really want to work on becoming debt free, as in NO credit card debt.  Three years ago I lost my job due to budget cuts but thankfully I quickly found another teaching job at the school I am now at and LOVE.  But with the change in job I lost $6,000.00 in my salary.  Ugh! I really did not think it would effect us as much as it did but it did and our credit cards are screaming!  So to go back to my school resolution of getting my butt out at a decent time I will then have to pay less for aftercare for my youngest.  I know that is small beans compared to what we own but every little bit counts.  We also sell on Ebay and Craiglist.  My husband is notorious at finding and bringing this or that home to sell.  I hate to admit it but some of his  junk "finds" have sold for a nice price.  Just check out taxidermy pheasants (they were given to the hubby by one of his restaurant stops that they were just going to throw them away) on Ebay. So if I do not keep any other resolution but this one I will be a happy camper!
 
Personal Resolution - To eat less processed foods.  At our house we eat a lot of process foods due to our work, school and sport schedules we need cheap, quick and easy.  So I need some cheap solutions to avoid some of the processed foods that everyone will eat.  We have a very diverse eating preferences in our house.  Hubby is a meat and potatoes kind of guy which is the opposite of me because I am a vegetarian.  The girls will eat just about anything but our son is extremely picky!  Think of a diet of only chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and hots dogs.  Yuck!  So please pass along any ideas or suggestions you may have. 
 
To continue while I am on a roll I am going to also link up with Teaching with Moxie.  I just found Diane through one of my favorite blogs Surfing to Success.  Thanks Mercedes:) 
 
Classroom Resolution - To start a math notebook with my fourth and fifth graders when we get back.  I did this last year but thought I could not do it with our new math series, Go Math.  But we so desperately need our notebooks with all the new concepts they are learning and they really have no where to look to review the steps.  So I have requested that all the kids get new notebooks during break. 
 
Blog Resolution - To reach 100 followers......I would love a few new friends.
 
Happy New Year,

Photobucket



12 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy! I enjoyed reading your resolutions and can so relate! We have a lot of debt also with two little ones in daycare. My oldest is now in Kindergarten so that helped a little but 2 years of $250 a week is not great on my budget!! How do you like Go Math? We will be looking into a new math series for next year. Cheers to 2013!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly,
      To be honest I do not care for Go Math. They recommend doing 4 "textbook" pages each day and a 2 sided workbook page for homework. At the begining of the year I tried to stick to their recommendation but we fell too far behind. It was taking me 2 - 3 days to get through a lesson. So I still use the textbook for guidance when I plan lessons but I do it my way and do not use the textbook pages much. I do use the workbook for homework though. Go luck finding a new series.
      Happy New Year,
      Wendy

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up, Wendy! I think most people would be thrilled to just to keep resolution #2!! We have a tough time, too, because my hubs is a meat and potato guy while I don't eat meat (or veggies) - ugh...I also don't cook so we eat out most nights. Bad on the budget and the diet! ;(

    Best of luck with reaching your goals!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think we could eat out every night but my kids would love it. Thanks for hosting the linky party.

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy! I found your blog from the linky party and your newest follower! We started working on our debt last year, we use Dave Ramsey. I highly recommend looking into his program and taking a Financial Peace class. My hubby is also a meat and potatoes guy. He complains when I give him healthy food but likes the benefit of it, good luck on this goal-you are not alone on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice using Dave Ramsey I need to look into this since I have seen this program mentioned many times. What is the Financial Peace Class? I am also your newest follower so you are getting closer to one of your goals. I love the name of your blog. Just too cute!
      Happy New Year,
      Wendy

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your resolutions! I'd love to eat less processed food. I'm getting better. Luckily I'm just cooking for myself, but it's pretty pricey to buy organic and healthier stuff. Anyway, I'm your newest follower, so now you can move closer to your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Wendy! I found you through the resolution linkies.

    As far as eating, I need to lose 50 lbs (really 100, but let's take baby steps). I use some food blogs that are pretty easy to follow. I have a 4 year old who doesn't eat what we eat about 75% of the time. If she doesn't eat what I cook she gets PB&J with baked cheetoos, turkey bologna, cheese and whole wheat crackers or a turkey hog dog. That's it. I don't cook a separate meal. I tried to cut beef out of our kitchen and cook only turkey or chicken.

    http://www.skinnytaste.com/ -- this one is my favorite
    http://www.slenderkitchen.com/
    http://www.laaloosh.com/

    I try to do a crock pot meal atleast 2x per week. It helps me a lot. I also do Subway as a last minute "fast food" b/c let's be honest sometimes you have PTA or you're just plain beat. I also make a weekly meal plan and go on Sunday's to the grocery store.

    This Little Piggy Reads Alll the Way Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with reaching your goals! I can relate to the eating junk because you are too busy. Between work, 6 kiddos, and crazy sports schedules it seems like a surprise we manage to eat at all! I have been trying to put my crock pot to use more. I find when I plan meals out ahead of time we are also better eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy! You are so sweet to include my Linky Party! Thanks for the "shout out"! I can really relate to all of your resolutions. I definitely need to get home earlier. My oldest son is a senior and he will be flying the nest soon. I need to spend as much time as possible with him. And I need to start tightening our budget with college bills coming. Finally, I'm about to take the plunge into no processed foods myself. I read a book called "Wheat Belly" and if has convinced me to change my diet to eliminate wheat and only eat single processed foods. It's going to be hard! I joined your blog and am excited about keeping in touch with you!

    Diane
    Teaching With Moxie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, I love your blog design! It's absolutely amazing! I am now your newest follower. I sympathize with your first resolution and agree that its probably on every teacher's resolution list. For me, its about managing my time better. I love visiting and connecting with the other staff members, but I find I spend time visiting that could actually be used to get my classroom ready. Thank you for sharing your resolutions. Its nice to not be alone in my goal setting.

    Caralee
    Confessions of a Teachanista

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are your new friends, followers #68!! Your blog is adorable! We are looking for more followers too!! Check us out if you get a chance!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments. I LOVE comments.